One of the first things people notice about you is your smile, so it’s important to show them one that’s your healthiest and brightest! That’s why we’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks to keep your smile bright and you confident this spring.
- Always maintain good oral hygiene. You’ve heard it before that oral hygiene is important year-round. This is especially true when you have braces or aligners! Oral hygiene directly affects the quality and appearance of your smile. Make sure to brush your teeth twice a day (we recommend after every meal or snack if you can). Don’t forget to floss, too! Braces can make it more difficult to clean your teeth, appliances, and gums, so at your next appointment, make sure we show you the most effective ways to get all those hard-to-reach spots.
- Skip that extra cup of coffee or glass of red wine. Coffee, tea, red wine, and soda can all stain your teeth while you are undergoing treatment. Cutting back on these beverages will keep your teeth brighter and whiter!
- Use a straw when consuming teeth-staining beverages. Straws allow you to sip on your favorite drinks listed above—without the liquid touching and staining your teeth. This way, you can enjoy any beverage without worries. There are even straws that are specially designed for the consumption of hot beverages. Just remember to brush and floss after!
- Quit smoking. Smoking already takes an enormous toll on your health and can cause severe problems, like gingivitis and lung cancer. But, smoking cigarettes can also stain your teeth. The longer you continue to smoke, the harder it is to remove these brown stains. Simply brushing is often not enough to get rid of discoloration, so if you have stains from smoking, you should consult your dentist about the best options to remove them. For those undergoing Invisalign®, quitting cigarettes can help ensure your treatment is as nearly invisible as possible.
- Try teeth-whitening toothpaste. Looking for a boost of brightness? Ask Dr. Kent or Dr. Zermeño for their suggestions on toothpastes that thoroughly clean your teeth and help prevent stains or
Whether you have just had a teeth-whitening procedure and want to maintain your results or you want to make your healthy smile white, these tips will help keep your smile at its brightest. Keeping your teeth white not only makes them appear healthier, but it also makes your smile healthier from the inside out!